NHS spokeswoman Diane Blankenberg said the event, which has been in Reno before with different beneficiaries, grossed about $55,000. For $5, individuals were eligible to win prizes if their duck was among the first to float down a section of the Truckee River.
All the ducks started in a dump truck and after “ready, set, go!” they were dumped down a ramp and into the water. The ducks were carried down a rapid and under the bridge at Arlington Avenue and toward a makeshift finish line, where they had to float into a small hole in a gate.
The winners of the race were:
• Terry Shackelford — Grand Prize, a 1989 British Racing Green Jaguar
• Misha Baynes — second place, a Disney World Getaway
• Melanie Vukelich — third place, a sports and recreation sampler
• John Robinson — fourth place, a dine-around Reno restaurant sampler
• Stacey Berger — fifth place, a Las Vegas adventure
• Justin Sessions — sixth place, a Petapalooza pampered pet package
• Melissa Townsend — seventh place, a home entertainment center
• Rasalyn Zimmerman — eighth place, a home entertainment center
• Scott Pearson — ninth place, an It’s Just Duckie package
• Deborah Achtenberg — raffle prize winner, a 42-inch HD flat-screen TV