The aerial application will be conducted by helicopter under the direction of the Washoe County Health District (WCHD) Vector Borne Disease program. Using an insect growth regulator, the application will prevent the emergence of biting adult mosquitoes.
Area residents are reminded to take the following precautions during the spring and summer months to prevent an increase in the mosquito population in and around their homes:
• Clear the yard area of any free-standing water that may become a mosquito breeding-ground.
• Wear long sleeves and long pants in mosquito-prone areas.
• Use mosquito repellant and follow label precautions.
• Repair any window screens that provide entry for mosquitoes.
• Vaccinate horses for Western Equine Encephalitis (WEE) and for West Nile Virus (WNV).
• Report night-time mosquito activity to the District Health Department at 328-2434.
For more information, please visit the DHD Web site at www.washoecounty.us/health or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.CDC.gov.