Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Reed basketball splits at Hug
by Aaron Retherford
Dec 11, 2012 | 2926 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Tribune photo by John Byrne - Reed's Alonzo Vega gets off a runner with Hug's Jeremiah Williams (10) and Jawon Bennett (21) crowding the paint. Vega finished with 18 points, but it was not enough as the Raiders fell 62-60.
Tribune photo by John Byrne - Reed's Alonzo Vega gets off a runner with Hug's Jeremiah Williams (10) and Jawon Bennett (21) crowding the paint. Vega finished with 18 points, but it was not enough as the Raiders fell 62-60.
Tribune photo by John Byrne - Reed's Trae Wells (#34) looks for opening on the baseline during the Raiders' league loss at Hug Tuesday.
Tribune photo by John Byrne - Reed's Trae Wells (#34) looks for opening on the baseline during the Raiders' league loss at Hug Tuesday.
The Reed boys basketball team had a good strategy against the Hug Hawks Tuesday night - get Hug’s Player-of-the-Year candidate Sam Williams in foul trouble and reap the benefits of him sitting on the bench.

When Williams picked up his second foul with 2:24 on the first-quarter clock, Reed was already in control of the game. But with Williams on the bench for the rest of the first half, the Raiders built a sizable 36-23 lead at the break.

Unfortunately for the RHS cagers, they had no answer for Hug shooting guard Masaki Nayayama. In the closing minutes of the High Desert League clash, Nayayama dropped in back-to-back-to-back 3-pointers to give the Hawks their first lead of the night and then sank two free throws to close out a 62-60 win.

Reed had a chance to tie, but Hug point guard Rian Narra drew a charge with 2 seconds on the clock to seal the victory.

“We had a great opportunity to come in here and play a great Hug team and get a win. We just didn’t do enough to win the game,” Reed boys basketball coach Dustin Hall said.

Reed owned a 13-point advantage at halftime, but watched Hug storm from behind over the final 16 minutes.

Trailing by six with four minutes left, Nayayama got going.

First, he swished a 3-pointer. Then he launched a trey from four feet behind the arc, firing up the home crowd with a game-tying 3-pointer. Hug claimed a 59-56 lead when Nayayama rattled home his fourth 4-pointer of the night with 2:29 to play.

The Raiders didn’t fold after getting smacked in the face by the long-range barrage.

Jonathon Stacy dropped in a layup, cutting it to 59-58.

Hug came down the court and Williams picked up his fifth foul. But Nayayama stepped up and drew a charge in the backcourt when Reed could have regained the lead.

The Raiders knotted the game at 60-60 following a pair of free throws by Alonzo Vega with 31 seconds left, but that set up Nayayama’s clutch trip to the charity stripe.

“Hug picked up the pressure and we lost our composure a little bit,” Hall said. “We had some turnovers that were uncharacteristic for us. We took some quick shots that we weren’t taking in the first half. We’re a young team, and we’ll learn from it. We just didn’t play at our tempo in the second half.”

Reed got off to a good start, which made the ending that more painful.

An Ajay Bains trey put the Raiders ahead 10-4, which was a game-high cushion through the first five minutes of action. That would be a recurring theme in the second quarter.

The end of the first quarter wasn’t good for the Blue and Gold. After leading 16-8, Reed allowed Hug to score the final four points of the quarter, including a tip-in at the buzzer after the Raiders turned the ball over while holding for the last shot.

Fortunately for Raider fans, their team had a short-term memory.

Four straight points by Reed, on a Trae Wells runner and a Vega layup, doubled the cushion from four points to eight, making it a 22-14 ballgame with 6:11 to go in the half.

After Nayayama knocked down a 3-pointer for the Hawks, consecutive buckets by the visiting crew forged it ahead by nine, 26-17.

Bains' second 3-pointer from way downtown handed Reed its first double-digit lead, 29-19, midway through the second quarter.

Vega went on a 5-0 run, capping it with a 3-pointer from the top of the key for a 34-21 - the largest gap of the game.

Reed went into halftime with a 13-point lead, 36-23.

With Williams on the bench, Narra did his best to keep the Hawks in the game with 10 points in the first half.

He erupted to start the second.

Narra hit a pull-up jumper and then was fouled on a fast break layup. He converted the three-point play, cutting the digit to single digits, 36-28.

Williams also got into the act, pulling the Hawks to within five, 40-35.

That was as close as Hug could get in the third quarter.

Reed went ahead by 10, 47-37, but the Raiders were outscored 6-2 over the last four minutes of the third quarter to see their lead sliced down to 49-43, with a three-point play.

The Raiders led by eight early in the fourth, but it was all downhill from there.

Wells led all scorers with 23 points. Vega chipped in with 18 in the losing cause.

Nayayama had a team-high 20 points, while Narra added 16.

Reed (1-4) is at McQueen Saturday.

Girls Basketball

Reed 67, Hug 18

No one expected the girls game to be much of a contest and after Reed held Hug scoreless in the opening period, it was pretty obvious this would be a long night for the Hawks.

Playing without starting shooting guard Tyler Sumpter, who rolled her ankle at the end of Monday’s practice, Reed got solid performances by some role players in its 67-18 win at Hug Tuesday night..

Megan Dettling took over sharp-shooting duties, knocking down four 3-pointers en route to tying for team-high honors in points with 16. Fellow junior Gabby Williams also poured in 16 points, scoring 12 in the first half that saw the Raiders take a 24-0 lead after the first quarter and a 37-6 edge at the intermission.

Dettling’s fourth 3-pointer pushed the lead to 40-6 less than a minute into the third quarter.

Hug tried to hang. Back-to-back buckets made it a 40-10 game with 6:36 on the third-quarter clock.

After a Jamilla Anderson putback brought the Hawks to within 32 points, 46-14, the home team did not score again until 4:38 had ticked off the clock.

During that span, Reed went on a 15-0 run to go up 61-14 and instituted the running clock mercy rule. Hug scored the last basket of the third quarter with 7 seconds to play, leaving the Raiders with a 61-16 edge heading into the fourth quarter.

Because of the running clock and Reed playing mostly reserves, the fourth quarter was low-scoring. Reed outscored Hug 6-2 in the final quarter, accounting for the game-high 67-18 margin.

Also scoring in double figures for Reed were Brooke Cervantes and Tina Vernon with 13 and 12 points respectively.

Hug was paced by Mele Lotulelei’s eight points. No other Hawk had more than two points.

“My subs came in and got a lot of repetitions on our offense and our defense,” Reed girls basketball coach Sara Schopper said. “We had to play without Tyler, so we needed some people to step up in bigger roles. I was happy with them. We were preparing to play with Tyler, but she rolled her ankle right at the end of practice yesterday. Megan Dettling came out and hit some threes, and that’s what we need.”

Reed (3-0) heads to Douglas Friday for a 7 p.m. tip-off.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses