Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Manogue downs Reed 4-1 in girls soccer
by Aaron Retherford
Sep 25, 2012 | 2156 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The Bishop Manogue girls soccer team scored two goals in the final four minutes of its game against Spanish Springs to win 2-0 a week and a half ago.

When the Miners met up with the other Rail City school Tuesday night, they pulled off a similar feat. This time it was in the final three minutes of the first half, creating an insurmountable lead at the break.

Kayla Alexander and Andrea Hernandez scored within minutes of each other in the first half as Manogue took down Reed 4-1 in a crossover league matchup.

As both teams’ goalkeepers had to make tough saves once in the first half, it seemed like the rivals would head into halftime with a scoreless tie. At the same time, it also felt like it was a matter of time before the Miners broke through when Reed began to play loose in the back and Manogue (4-2-2) looked like it was playing at a higher speed.

“The other team played smarter than we did,“ Reed girls soccer coach Jason Saville said. “The one player they have works harder than our 11 players we have on the field, that’s what’s going to happen.”

With three minutes left on the first-half clock, Alexander took a shot from a tough angle, but snuck it over goalkeeper Stefanie Pehle into the far corner of the goal for the game’s first goal.

In the 40th minute, another breakdown allowed Hernandez to boot a wide-open shot along the ground with her left foot from the top of the box, rolling past a diving Pehle into the right side of the goal for a 2-0 halftime lead.

Reed had its chances in the final 10 minutes of the first half, but the hosts couldn’t erase the goose egg off the scoreboard.

In the 32nd minute, Manogue keeper Aidan Vasquez made her challenging save by laying down in front of a loose ball in front of the goal line. It didn’t look like she fully had control of the ball, but the official blew the play dead before a Raider player made a play on the ball.

It was Manogue that had the next good opportunity. In the 33rd minute, Hernandez received a free kick when no one marked her, but her header from the doorstep went over the crossbar. Then, a minute and a half later, the Raiders stormed down the field. Midfielder Kennady Whitehead received a pass and took an open shot from just inside the top of the box. Her shot went high also.

Whitehead was able to make amends for the miss. In the 50th minute, Reed senior forward Katelyn Raatz was fouled in the box. Whitehead stepped up to take the penalty kick and drilled it into the right side of the goal, cutting the deficit to 2-1 with 30:27 remaining in the game.

Whitehead nearly put a second one in when Reed earned a corner kick in the 56th minute. Whitehead charged to the near post as Raatz ripped a low line drive kick. Whitehead got a foot on it but deflected it too high.

The last 25 minutes was far from drama-free. Reed dodged plenty of bullets in keeping the one-goal margin until nearly the end of the match.

In the final two minutes again, the Miners changed the score twice.

Alexander recorded her second goal when Pehle couldn’t hold onto a save and Alexander pushed in the rebound. A minute later, Marin Zaccheo spun and ripped a left-footed shot off a bouncing ball inside the right post for the final 4-1 margin.

“We’re chasing the game and then we give up a stupid third goal, it kills the momentum,” Saville said. “Clearly we didn’t score, but I thought we had more opportunities than they did in the second half. The girls are pushing and the girls are working hard, then we give up a stupid third goal, and it takes the wind out of our sails. Next thing you know it’s 4-1 instead of what it should have been.”

Reed (5-2-1) hosts cross-town rival Spanish Springs Friday night. Kickoff is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses