Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
SSHS, Reed boys soccer struggles on road
by Damian Tromerhauser
Sep 12, 2012 | 2282 views | 0 0 comments | 3 3 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Tribune photo by John Byrne - Spanish Springs junior Emmanuel Medina tries to shield the ball from a Reno player during the Cougars’ 3-0 loss Wednesday. <I>Purchase Sparks Tribune photos from our 'BUY PHOTOS' link.</i>
Tribune photo by John Byrne - Spanish Springs junior Emmanuel Medina tries to shield the ball from a Reno player during the Cougars’ 3-0 loss Wednesday. Purchase Sparks Tribune photos from our 'BUY PHOTOS' link.
The Spanish Springs boys soccer team visited High Desert League rival Reno on Wednesday afternoon and suffered its first Nevada Northern Division I loss, dropping the contest 3-0.

“There were a lot of errors,” Spanish Springs coach Rob Moreland said. “Our defense made mistakes and they capitalized. I don’t think they really earned it. We just gave it to them.”

After one half in which both sides failed to establish a rhythm or gain control of any momentum, zeroes remained on the scoreboard. That quickly changed in the second half, but unfortunately for the Cougars, it was not in their favor.

From the whistle that signified the start of the second half, the Huskies attacked Spanish Springs relentlessly. Chance after chance flew at the net for Reno, but all found a way to miss just wide or high. In the 51st minute, Reno’s Andre Tsaniff sent a shot rocketing just to the right of the goal before he sent another try high above the crossbar in the 59th minute.

Three minutes later, Reno was again trying to break the 0-0 deadlock, but a cross attempt followed by two headers was cleared out as Spanish Springs keeper Omar Trujillo punched the ball out of the air. Trujillo and the Cougs would not be so lucky a few minutes later.

In the 64th minute, a ball deep into SSHS territory found its way to the crease of the net, bouncing into the Huskies’ Juan Villa Lucero. As Trujillo and Spanish Springs called for an apparent hand ball, none of the Cougars thought to corral the ball out of danger, leaving Villa Lucero with an empty net and the first goal of the match.

Holding a 1-0 edge, the Huskies were not satisfied and continued to keep the pressure on Spanish Springs. Four minutes after Villa Lucero handed RHS the lead, Reno’s Brett Boyer took control of a ball in front of the SSHS goal while holding off a Cougars defender and put the ball into the back of the bottom right corner of the net to push the advantage to 2-0.

Reno added one more goal in the 78th minute as a free kick sent in off the foot of John Shaffer found the head of Boyer for his second goal of the game and the 3-0 final that left Moreland looking for answers.

“I’m not sure what it is. We do stuff in practice that we didn’t bring to the game. So I don’t know what’s going to happen,” Moreland said. “We’re going to find out in practice whether we’re going to decide if we’re going to do the stuff we do in practice in the game or if we’re just going to go back to our old ways. We have to decide that. I don’t think they’re that much of a better team, at least not three goals. It is what it is though, and we’ll see them again.”

Spanish Springs (3-1) will next take the pitch on Saturday in a match at Bishop Manogue scheduled for 11:00 a.m.

Hug 2, Reed 1

The Reed Raiders boys soccer team was looking to bounce back after suffering a tough 1-0 loss to Reno on Monday in the final minutes of the match. Unfortunately for the Blue and Gold, another match got away from it on Wednesday.

Scoring the first goal of the match early on, Reed watched as host Hug erased the deficit en route to a 2-1 Hawks victory.

“We played hard and we played tough,” Reed coach Joel Martinez said. “It’s soccer though and we’re not always going to get open opportunities and when we do, we need to capitalize on them. When we don’t finish, sooner or later it’s going to come back and beat us. It’s always tough playing away from Reed and I felt that we played a really tough game, but it wasn’t enough.”

After Adrian Lopez sent the ball into the back of the net in the eighth minute to give the Raiders a 1-0 advantage, Hug countered with its own goal that came off a centering shot from the wing in the 26th minute to tie the game at 1-1.

The sides remained knotted up after the intermission but the game’s momentum was clearly in favor of the Hawks.

Controlling the ball deep in Reed territory, HHS riddled chances at Raiders netminder Josh Reyes. After a goal was called off due to an offside call in the 45th minute and another attempt bounced high off the crossbar in the 52nd minute, the Hawks finally scored the go-ahead tally as Reyes came out and underestimated the height of the ball, allowing it to bounce off a handful of players before finding the net. The 61st-minute marker gave Hug a 2-1 edge and the eventual victory.

“I’m still really proud of them and it’s still early in the season. There’s nothing to get our heads down about,” Martinez said. “It’s not an excuse, but it’s our second game in three days. We have some injuries to deal with.

“I don’t want to say it plays a factor, but it has something to do with the outcome of who we can put in and who we can’t. We have to take care of our injuries. We can’t do what we have to do without players. We’re limited right now so we’re going to heal up and just focus with the 13 players that we have right now. Sometimes we get the win and sometimes we don’t. That’s just the way the sport is and Hug beat us fair and square.”

Reed (1-2-1) will look to get back in the win column when it visits Wooster on Friday at 3:30 p.m.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses