RENO — Nevada Advocates for Planned Parenthood Affiliates (NAPPA), in conjunction with Planned Parenthood Advocates Mar Monte (PPAMM), last week released their first round of endorsements in the 2012 election.
NAPPA is the independent, non-partisan political education and advocacy arm for the Planned Parenthood Affiliates of Nevada. PPAMM is the independent election arm of the Mar Monte affiliate.
NAPPA endorses pro-choice candidates at the state level, and works in partnership with the election arms of the local affiliates to endorse candidates in local races. The NAPPA definition of a pro-choice position means a candidate must:
• Support legal abortion and the right to privacy as defined by the Roe v. Wade decision, and oppose restrictions aimed at limiting access.
• Support coverage of reproductive health services — family planning, prenatal care, abortion and related services — both publicly funded health programs and private insurance plans.
• Support minors’ access to confidential services for health care.
• Support comprehensive sexuality education in public schools.
• Oppose so-called fetal personhood initiatives that threaten access to vital health services.
NAPPA ranks candidates on completion of a questionnaire about current issues. The endorsements for the 2012 election are as follows:
• Sheila Leslie (D) – Senate District 15, no opponent in primary
• David Bobzien (D) – Assembly District 24, no opponent in primary
• Rodney Petzk (D) — Assembly District 26, no opponent in primary
• Teresa Benitez-Thompson (D) — Assembly District 27, no opponent in primary
• Lauren Scott (R) — Assembly District 30, three-way primary
• Mike Sprinkle (D) — Assembly District 30, no opponent in primary
• Donna Clontz (NP) — State Board of Education District 2, primary opponents including incumbent
• Kitty Jung (NP) — Reno City Council Ward 5, three-way primary
• Barbara McLaury, incumbent (NP) — Washoe County school board trustee at-large
• Stacie Wilke-McCulloch — Carson City Supervisor Ward 2
• Jim Shirk — Carson City Supervisor Ward 4
• Cathylee James — Storey County School Board Trustee 1A
• Colleen Conley — Storey County School Board Trustee 1B
• Maureen Willis — Lyon County School Dist V Mason Valley