If you have fuel-fired appliances or wood-burning stoves or fireplaces, install a carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home.
Now that we’ve fired up our heating appliances, keep your home warm and safe by following these safety tips from Sparks firefighters:
If it has heat, three feet. Anything with flame or heat should have a three-foot clearance from anything that can burn, including furniture;
Plug portable electric heaters directly into outlets not extension cords;
Make sure your space heaters automatically shut off power if the heater falls over;
Keep candles on sturdy surfaces and keep in mind your dog’s tail wagging and children bumping into things. Consider using electric candles instead of flame candles;
Have your chimney inspected and cleaned regularly by a certified specialist. Creosote and other types of build-up may start fires. Heat-resistant component and flue-spaces may need repair;
Make sure heating systems are properly vented;
Remember that you must have working smoke detectors in order to receive early notification of a fire. For free installation of smoke alarms, Sparks residents may call 353-2266. Make sure every sleeping room, hallways serving a sleeping room and each level of your home has a working smoke alarm, and practice an evacuation plan with everyone in your house each month.