This series of free, ranger-guided walks is one of the best ways to learn about the unique experiences every Washoe County park has to offer. County parks reflect the region’s variety of climates including spectacular high desert landscapes, lush ranching valleys and the majestic pine forests of the Sierra’s eastern slope. Washoe County parks are also home to many of the area’s historic and cultural points of interest.
All walks are free. Walks begin at 7 p.m. and last between one and two hours. Explorers of all ages are welcome. Bring sturdy shoes, water and an extra layer of clothing for the cooler evenings.
Schedule for the 2011 Discover Your Parklands series:
• June 2: Sun Valley Regional Park
• June 16: Swan Lake Nature Study Area
• June 30: Bowers Mansion Regional Park
• July 14: Michael D. Thompson/Hunter Creek Trailhead
• July 28: Wilson Commons
• August 11: Lockwood River Park
• August 25: Galena Creek Recreation Area and Visitor Center
• Sept. 8: Tour the historic buildings at Rancho San Rafael Regional Park
Directions to all hikes (except Bowers Mansion and Wilson Commons) are listed in the Truckee Meadows Trail Guide. A guide is available at www.washoecountyparks.com.For more information, call 823-6519.