McKinnon died at Renown Regional Medical Center from his injuries about 30 minutes after the accident. His immediate family was notified over the weekend and requested that his name not be released to the public until Tuesday morning.
The crash is being investigated by the Nevada Highway Patrol’s Major Accident Investigation Team. Witnesses to the event, or anyone who can provide additional information, is encouraged to contact Trooper Mike Gocke at 775-689-4682 or the Department of Public Safety’s Communications Center at 775-687-0400 regarding case number NHP-1105060789.
Motorists are reminded to be certain that when making lane changes that it can be accomplished safely. Because of their small stature and overall size, motorcycles are more difficult to see. With the warmer temperatures there will be more motorcycles on the road. The following safety tips are provided to help all motorists be safe:
• Motorcyclists should wear a reflective vest when riding in an effort to be more visible.
• Always wear a helmet approved by the Department of Transportation.
• Drive and ride with headlamps turned on to be more visible.
• Always signal properly before making a lane change and be certain the adjacent lane is clear.
• Motorcyclists often downshift their transmission to slow down so brake lamps might not be illuminated.
• Maintain a safe following distance with other traffic.
• Share the roads safely and responsibly at all times.