The most commonly stolen metals include copper, aluminum, brass and bronze.
Thieves are looking for targets of opportunity. Crimes include pulling copper wire out of lamp posts, stealing irrigation systems, cutting pipes, construction supplies left unattended around construction sites and taking equipment and supplies left exposed or easily accessible.
Theft prevention tips include:
• Secure openings to crawl spaces with a good hasp and padlock
• Don’t store scrap metals outside or within view
• Check around residential and business properties regularly for signs of suspicious activity
• If any suspicious activity is observed, contact local law enforcement immediately
• If possible, build a small chain link fence or cage enclosure around the outside portion of commercial fixtures, and climate control systems