To qualify for these services, individuals must be clients of DETR’S Rehabilitation Division and work with their counselors on their Individualized Plans for Employment.
The programs include the following:
1. The Adult Literacy Program is designed to help deaf and hard of hearing individuals who use English as their second language improve reading, writing, math and civil skills through the use of American sign language.
2. The Employment Preparation Program provides opportunities to learn basic job skills, to develop good work habits, to understand the importance of punctuality and teamwork in the workplace, to maintain positive relationships with employers and employees and to transition into a permanent employment position.
3. The Job Coaching Program helps employees learn to perform job tasks to employers’ specifications and the interpersonal skills necessary to be accepted in the workplace. The program places employee directly in a job with the hands-on assistance of a job coach.
4. The Getting Your Nevada Driver’s License program is designed to help and prepare deaf and hard of hearing individuals in obtaining a Nevada driver’s license through alternative teaching techniques. The instructor will translate information using American sign language and visual cues to explain state law and regulations. In addition, individuals will review and practice written exams prior to taking an actual exam.
5. The Job Development Program provides support with the employment process. This program will have collaborations with local businesses with appropriate employment opportunities. Volunteer placements and internships are also options through this program.
DETR’s Rehabilitation Division helps people with disabilities become employed and helps those already employed perform more successfully through training, counseling and other support methods. These state and federally funded programs are available statewide at no cost to qualified individuals with disabilities.
For more information, visit www.detr.state.nv.us for call 684-4040 or TTY 684-8400.